Let’s see if your current oral care routine measures up!
Right now, it’s more important than ever that families are doing whatever they can to stay healthy. Of course, while you may be focused on ways to improve your general health, you’ll also want to take time to consider your oral health, too. Our Moorestown, NJ, general dentist, Dr. Aliya Khan, wants everyone to adopt the very best home care habits to prevent gum disease, infection, decay, and other problems from happening.
There are several factors that can influence and impact your oral hygiene. These factors include:
- Your home care routine (includes brushing and flossing)
- Your lifestyle and habits
- Your diet
While visiting our dentist here in Moorestown, NJ, every six months for cleanings is a fantastic way to maintain a healthy smile, there are steps you should be taking each and every day that can make an incredible impact on your oral health. These habits include:
- Brushing twice a day
- Flossing daily
- Using fluoride toothpaste
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet
Maybe you think your at-home routine is already pretty great. In that case, here are some lesser-known oral care tips that you may not be doing that can enhance your current routine and promote a healthier smile,
- Replace your toothbrush head as soon as the bristles look worn and tattered. A toothbrush won’t last forever (usually around 3-4 months). You should also replace your toothbrush head if you’ve been sick
- Avoid or limit alcohol consumption
- Seek out a custom night guard from our dentists if you grind your teeth or clench your jaw (a nightguard can protect your teeth from excessive wear).
- Limit sugary and starchy foods and drinks
- Limit snacking (snacking throughout the day can increase plaque buildup, which can cause decay) and choose smile-friendly snacks such as carrots, apples, string cheese, nuts, hummus or sugar-free peanut butter
We are so honored to be awarded the Best Dental Practice of South Jersey. We love making our patients’ health our top priority, which is why our practice is currently closed during the pandemic to ensure that everyone stays healthy and safe. However, our Moorestown, NJ, family dentist and her staff are still here to provide care for true dental emergencies. Dealing with an urgent matter? Call Moorestown Smile Center at (856) 638-5266.